Re: Patch for fields of `struct buffer'

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: Patch for fields of `struct buffer'
Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2011 19:47:51 -0700

>>>>> "Helmut" == Helmut Eller <address@hidden> writes:

Helmut> Is there a way to evaluate the different approaches against each
Helmut> other?

I think only based on your experiences reading and writing Emacs Lisp
code, and to a somewhat lesser degree your experiences with other
threaded programs.

Helmut> What are the uses cases where concurrency should be used in the
Helmut> future?

My earlier target was gnus, but I think Lars has probably already
rewritten all the slow bits.  Surely making it fully async can't be far
behind :-)

Now I think my main interest is in making it possible for different
keyboards to run in parallel.  This would make it possible to, e.g.,
connect `emacsclient -t' to Emacs and do stuff while gnus or something
is blocking in another frame (initially for "blocking" meaning "waiting
for I/O").

Beyond that, I don't have anything specific.  Making the GC run in
parallel would be cool, and is something I have looked into, but it
isn't a lisp-level problem.

Tom