Emacs 2.4 Dropbox Edition

From: Thorsten
Subject: Emacs 2.4 Dropbox Edition
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2011 02:38:24 +0100

Hello, though not an Emacs developer I have an suggestion to make: why
not outfactor all elisp-libraries that are platform independent to a
Dropbox folder (eventually using elpa for this folder), and than share
this folder (read only) with anybody interested?  The core part of emacs
could be compiled for all the major platforms, and the emacs developers
make sure that the core and the libraries are always in consistent state
and work out of the box.

Then having the identical work emacs environment i.e. on Win 7 and
Ubuntu would only involve to install the Emacs 2.4 Dropbox Edition, that
is the absolute minimal platform dependent core, and to put a symlink as
.emacs.d to the dropbox folder in your home folder on your diffenrent
machines.

This shared Dropbox folder would have a smart file structure with one
init.el that has all the requiere's (to be commented out), a subfolder
site-lisp with all the 'vendors' libraries, and a subfolder
my-customisations with one user customisation file per library, i.e. it
looks like after emacs bancrupsy is declared, not like before (with one
giant .emacs.el).

So _all_ the configuration and _all_ .el or .elc files are in the
Dropbox folder and therefore valid without change on all my machines,
and the smart emacs developers make sure that only relative links to the
filesystem are used, that work on Windows and Linux.  No more hours and
days in trying to emulate i.e. my emacs latex environment on my linux PC
on my win 7 notebook, only to start over from scratch when updating
hardware or software.

That would take a huge burden from emacs users, and I guess the Dropbox
guys would like to have many emacs users as clients. Since its all tiny
textfiles, the free 10GB on Dropbox will most likely suffice.

I hope this suggestion is not embarrassing in its ignorance. Its born
out of much pain in trying to not only share my work and configuration
files via Dropbox, but to have "the same emacs" on my Win7 machine as on
my Ubuntu machine.

Cheers Thorsten