Re: Emacs 2.4 Dropbox Edition

From: Davis Herring
Subject: Re: Emacs 2.4 Dropbox Edition
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2011 18:46:06 -0800 (PST)

> Hello, though not an Emacs developer I have an suggestion to make: why
> not outfactor all elisp-libraries that are platform independent to a
> Dropbox folder (eventually using elpa for this folder), and than share
> this folder (read only) with anybody interested?  The core part of emacs
> could be compiled for all the major platforms, and the emacs developers
> make sure that the core and the libraries are always in consistent state
> and work out of the box.

Having Dropbox able to invisibly and automatically run code on thousands
(millions?) of users' machines doesn't seem like a good idea.  I think
Richard in particular is opposed to the execution of code not under the
user's control (for those security reasons but also for the freedom of
editing).

> Ubuntu would only involve to install the Emacs 2.4 Dropbox Edition, that

(You probably mean Emacs 24, here and in the subject.)

Davis

shipping.