Re: Emacs 24 Dropbox Edition

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: Emacs 24 Dropbox Edition
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2011 08:24:58 -0600

On Tue, 08 Feb 2011 07:15:50 +0100 Thorsten <address@hidden> wrote:

T> It's a matter of trust, of course. It seems that in the Orgmode
T> community Dropbox is quite popular. Maybe the same idea could be
T> realized via GitHub, with the slight inconvience that Updates are not
T> automatic.

I wouldn't trust GitHub or Dropbox to do this job.  They are fine
services but their business plan doesn't involve Emacs.

The premise that you need Dropbox to distribute files efficiently is, I
think, not accurate.  A web server like elpa.gnu.org is just as good.
There are many techniques for distributing web server load but I think
we're very far from that need.

The hard part so far has been getting copyright assignments for packages
(which I've only been marginally helping) and debating whether they
belong on elpa.gnu.org or inside Emacs itself.  Actually putting the
package up on elpa.gnu.org is trivial.

Ted