Re: lib/ should have its own ChangeLog

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: lib/ should have its own ChangeLog
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2011 23:36:53 -0800

On 02/09/2011 11:04 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> detailed
> descriptions of the changeset are supposed to be part of the commit
> log messages.  ChangeLog entries can just state what was changed;

This seems to imply that ChangeLog entries are short and commit
logs are long.  But in practice the reverse is common, with the detailed
description is in the ChangeLog, and the commit log being a brief
summary.  I'm used to this tradition and don't see why it should
(ahem) change.

For example, for the most recent entry in lisp/ChangeLog the
commit record is short:

 * allout.el: Synopsis: Change allout user configuration so auto-activation
  is controlled solely by customization `allout-auto-activation'.

whereas the ChangeLog entry is long:

2011-02-10  Ken Manheimer  <address@hidden>

        * allout.el: Synopsis: Change allout user configuration so
        auto-activation is controlled solely by customization
        `allout-auto-activation'.

        (allout-auto-activation-helper) (allout-setup): New autoloads
        implement new custom set procedure for allout-auto-activation.
        Also, explicitly invoke
        (allout-setup) after allout-auto-activation is custom-defined, to
        effect the settings in emacs sessions besides the few where
        allout-auto-activation customization is donea.
        (allout-auto-activation): Use allout-auto-activation-helper to
        :set.  Revise the docstring.
        (allout-init): Reduce functionality to just customizing
        allout-auto-activation, and mark obsolete.
        (allout-mode): Respect string values for allout-auto-activation.
        Run allout-after-copy-or-kill-hook without any args.
        (allout-mode) (allout-layout) (allout-default-layout)
        (outlineify-sticky): Adjust docstring for new scheme.
        (allout-after-copy-or-kill-hook): No arguments - hook implementers
        should concentrate on the kill ring.