Re: lib/ should have its own ChangeLog

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: lib/ should have its own ChangeLog
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 14:58:55 -0500

> That sounds like a good idea, and I'm used to it in
> other projects, such as coreutils.  How about if
> we do that with Emacs too?

I'd love to.  There are some obstacles, tho:
- make "C-x 4 a" work for such uses.
- figure out how to generate good quality ChangeLog files (we should
  probably keep the current ChangeLogs and only auto-generate entries
  for the new commits, since some of the past commit messages aren't as
  good as the ChangeLog).
- figure out how to handle errors in commit messages: apparently Bzr is
  unlikely to support editing its commit logs much before hell freezes
  over, so we'll have to hack something on top of Bzr on our side.

> It is confusing and wastes our time to keep two sets of logs when one
> would do.

log-edit lets you drag the ChangeLog entry into the *VC-Log* buffer, so
it's usually not too painful, but yes, it's inconvenient, especially
when merging branches.

        Stefan