Re: auth-source.el API change: Gnus and Emacs sync

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: auth-source.el API change: Gnus and Emacs sync
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2011 17:37:09 +0100

Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden> writes:

> I attach a revised patch against Emacs that DTRT inside tramp.el itself
> (I think).  Please check the logic because I don't know the Tramp
> internals so well.  Also we could pass `tramp-current-user' with the
> :user search key to `auth-source-search', if it's known.  I don't know
> if that's TRT for Tramp.

You're patch looks OK to me (but I haven't tested). If a user is given
in the remote file name, it is set in `tramp-current-user', indeed;
otherwise `tramp-current-user' is nil. So you could check it and use it
when non-nil.

> MA> I also believe, that tramp-imap.el shall not use auth-source-*
> MA> directly. It might be better to use tramp-enter-password (or
> MA> tramp-read-passwd). Maybe we could clean it up.
>
> If you can offer a suggestion for the code, that's fine.  I think,
> actually, that it may be a good idea to see how many people are using
> tramp-imap.el.  I have no bugs or suggestions since I wrote it, except
> from you, so perhaps we should ask the community and remove it from
> Tramp.  If no one needs a feature...

Maybe you start a poll on emacs-devel and tramp-devel?

> Ted

Best regards, Michael.