Re: imap.el and nnimap.el [was Re: Build failure bzr trunk revno 103260]

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: imap.el and nnimap.el [was Re: Build failure bzr trunk revno 103260]
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2011 08:55:42 -0600

On Sun, 13 Feb 2011 22:00:11 -0500 Glenn Morris <address@hidden> wrote:

GM> Ted Zlatanov wrote:
GM> Also, don't files usually go to obsolete/ before being deleted
GM> altogether?
>>
>> I don't see the point, considering it's so trivial to bring them back.

GM> It's for the benefit of people using foo.el in external packages, so
GM> that libraries don't just disappear from one Emacs release to the next.

Are there special warning when you use obsolete things?  `make-obsolete'
is on a finer level, but it's safe to assume that if something is in an
obsolete/ directory then everything inside should be obsoleted as well.

GM> On a related note, if nnimap.el is supposed to replace imap.el (?), then
GM> I think it is problem that the former has so many (Gnus) dependencies.

Gnus itself needs imap.el only in one place (mail-source.el) so I
propose we move imap.el to Emacs and out of Gnus when and if that
dependency is removed.  It's a general-purpose library anyway.

Ted