Silencing save messages

From: Antoine Levitt
Subject: Silencing save messages
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2011 14:52:10 +0100

Hi,

I'm trying to do something like

(add-hook 'bbdb-after-change-hook (lambda (arg) (bbdb-save)))

which would save the BBDB database after each change, but I'm getting
nasty "Wrote ~/.bbdb" messages which I don't care about. How do modes
get around that? I already use tricks like

(flet ((message (&rest args) nil))
  (desktop-save-in-desktop-dir))

to suppress output by message, but this doesn't work for C output. I
also saw that desktop.el uses

(write-region (point-min) (point-max) (desktop-full-file-name) nil 'nomessage)

but I can't use the same flet trick to enforce that in other code
(although I could probably use an advice). Is there some deep setting
one can use to suppress any output? (not prompts or errors, only
minibuffer output, from message and the likes) Presumably this would be
useful in some kind of (with-no-output) macro or something. Then,
functions wanting to silently save buffers or whatnot would just enclose
(save-buffer) inside (with-no-output).