Re: A new major-mode for Python

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: A new major-mode for Python
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2011 20:44:58 -0500

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

> So rather than replace our python.el with yours, I offer you to take
> over maintainership of our python.el.  This may sound like a crappy
> offer (why would you maintain some old code you don't like when you
> already have your own that works better, right?), but note that, as
> a maintainer of our python.el, you'll have the opportunity to replace
> pretty much any of "our" code with yours, thus morphing our python.el
> into yours.
>
> Another way to look at it, is that I'm asking you to take a "diff
> old-python.el new-python.el" and cut it into manageable and meaningful
> patches, so it is easier to see that it is moving forward.

100% agreement.

Scanning through your version of python.el, the code looks to be of good
quality.  As Stefan said, merging it into our existing python.el is much
better than setting up a wholesale replacement.  Among other things,
features won't get lost.  So I hope you will agree to take this on.

Should you be willing, we'll need a copyright assignment for your
contributions to Emacs.  This can be done by emailing the following
information to address@hidden; they will send you the assignment
form for your past and future changes.

Please use your full legal name (in ASCII characters) as the subject
line of the message.  Thanks.
REQUEST: SEND FORM FOR PAST AND FUTURE CHANGES

[What is the name of the program or package you're contributing to?]

GNU Emacs and python.el

[Did you copy any files or text written by someone else in these changes?
Even if that material is free software, we need to know about it.]

[Do you have an employer who might have a basis to claim to own
your changes?  Do you attend a school which might make such a claim?]

[For the copyright registration, what country are you a citizen of?]

[What year were you born?]

[Please write your email address here.]

[Please write your postal address here.]

[Which files have you changed so far, and which new files have you written
so far?]