Re: Current state of python.el in the Emacs trunk

From: Christoph
Subject: Re: Current state of python.el in the Emacs trunk
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2011 20:05:07 -0700

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

> The only problem is that the very reason for desiring such a switch is
> because nobody (including and especially the most obvious candidate,
> Dave) has been willing to maintain our python.el.

I'm confused. Didn't I offer to do maintenance work, like for example
integrating Dave's bug fixes (if he agreed to it)?

I have actually spent quite some time digging through the current
python.el mode and tried to do some clean up and fix things. For
example, the inital integration of pdbtrack a couple of years ago left a
huge amount of duplication since it was never really cleaned up. For
example: why are there two different ways to invoke a python shell?

> Now Fabian proposes a third Python mode.

I looked at it and I like it. It actually fixes some issues that the
current python.el has, especially when it comes to things like
pdbtrack. I had some issues getting some of features to work (shell
completion, for example) but that might just be because I was using
24.0.50 and/or using it wrong.

I didn't have the time to compare the current python.el with Fabian's
version as far as features go, but I didn't really miss anything while
using Fabian's new mode today.

> Of course, I'd rather work at bringing the various python modes closer
> to each other, rather than have them fork even further, so I'm not sure
> what's the best course here.

As far as python-mode.el goes...the discussion I started on this list
sparked another on the python-mode list:
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-mode/2011-February/000937.html

This doesn't sound like we would get on the same page anytime soon.

Christoph