Re: auth-source-search: annoying messages

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: auth-source-search: annoying messages
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2011 06:14:18 -0600

On Thu, 17 Feb 2011 12:36:09 +0900 Miles Bader <address@hidden> wrote:

MB> Recently, my message log is filled with stuff like:
MB>    auth-source-search: found 0 results (max 1/1) in [object
MB> auth-source-backend "~/.authinfo.gpg" netrc "~/.authinfo.gpg" t t t
MB> auth-source-netrc-create auth-source-netrc-search] matching (:port
MB> "pop3" :user ... :host ... :max 1)
MB>    auth-source-search: found 1 CACHED results matching (:max 1 :host ...
:port ("119" "nntp"))

MB> These messages don't seem useful to the user, and look like left-over
MB> debugging code ... how about removing them before the release?

Sorry about that.  It's off by default in the Gnus trunk now.

We can actually use something besides `message' to issue these notices.
It may be useful so the user can tell their authinfo files are being
searched.  Does Emacs have a way to do this, like progress-reporter but
less noisy?  A spinning icon or something in the modeline?  That would
be pretty nifty.

Thanks
Ted