Re: Input method or help feature needed

From: Harald Hanche-Olsen
Subject: Re: Input method or help feature needed
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2011 21:24:15 +0100 (CET)

[Stephen Berman <address@hidden> (2011-02-17 19:52:06 UTC)]

> The ucs-insert command already does this: typing
>
> C-x 8 RET * dotless TAB TAB
>
> brings up a completions buffer containing all unicode character names
> matching "DOTLESS" -- including LATIN SMALL LETTER DOTLESS I.

But I don't think it is obvious from the documentation that the tab
completion recognizes wildcards. Starting from C-h k C-x 8 RET and
following a link we are led to the docstring for read-char-by-name,
which only says

  You can type a few of first letters of the Unicode name and use
  completion.

Adding a note about wildcards to that docstring would be helpful?
After a look at the source, I suppose the wildcard feature is provided
by completing-read, but I certainly didn't have a clue about that
until now.

- Harald