Re: lexbind

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: lexbind
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2011 23:48:53 -0500

>>> Just a heads up that the lexbind-new branch is moving forward.
>>> It's not yet ready for inclusion (still a few things to clean up and
>>> a few more to change), but I finally got it to run mpc.el (compiled
>>> using lexical-binding).
>> That's great news. Thanks.
> Err, I forgot to add --- what about mpc.el makes it a milestone?

Well, the author of the closure conversion code (cconv.el) picked a few
files and "made them use lexbind" (mostly set lexical-binding to t and
replace lexical-let by let), among them pcase and mpc.  Since compiling
uses pcase (via macroexpand-all), running the compiled mpc code is
a good test (also the mpc code used lexical-let to build closures).

I.e. running mpc.el was my first "non-toy test" and it bumped into
a good number of bugs.  So, while I'm sure there are still bugs lurking,
I expect that most codes should be compiled correctly now.

        Stefan