Re: Patch to fix the Bar Cursor Too Narrow problem on Mac OS X

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: Patch to fix the Bar Cursor Too Narrow problem on Mac OS X
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2011 19:23:00 -0500

Ben Key <address@hidden> writes:

> In my opinion the real bug is get_specified_cursor_type was ever
> written so that there are code paths where the function returns
> without initializing an output parameter that is used by other
> functions.  It is this bug that the original author of nsterm.m
> noticed and decided to work around by ignoring the user specified
> value for cursor width with the line
>
> I do not know why you are so opposed to my attempt to fix this bug in
> get_specified_cursor_type.

Because the width argument to get_specified_cursor_type, as written and
documented, should have no effect *unless* the cursor is a bar cursor.
So, whether or not get_specified_cursor_type sets width in the
non-bar-cursor case, should make no difference in behavior.

Indeed, this is the case with X.

If changing the behavior of get_specified_cursor_type (e.g. making it
set a default width) does make a difference on the NS terminal, there is
a problem with the logic somewhere in the NS terminal, or maybe
somewhere else in Emacs.  If so, we need a fix there.  Changing
get_specified_cursor_type would not address this problem.