RE: Modify menu-bar help

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Modify menu-bar help
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2011 09:22:56 -0800

> It is a deliberate limitation imposed on menu bars.  I doubt
> that Gtk+ people will consider this as a bug.
>
> >> Bugs and bug workarounds generally should not be documented in the
> >> manual (but could be documented in release notes etc.).
> >
> > We could put it in etc/PROBLEMS, I guess, if we think GTK will not
> > solve this soon enough.
>
> As they probably don't think anything is wrong, they will
> never "solve" this.

In that case I think it has to be considered a design limitation/choice for
Emacs.

IOW, as long as Emacs (on some platforms) is designed to use GTK, which has this
limitation (deliberate design, apparently), this is not an Emacs bug but is part
of the Emacs design.  In that case, it should perhaps be documented in the
manual.

In general, users should be able to easily find out whether some known behavior
is considered a bug (which has some hope of being fixed) or is part of the
design.