Re: changelog-merge plugin and edited ChangeLog entries

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: changelog-merge plugin and edited ChangeLog entries
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2011 17:45:05 +0900

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
> admin/notes/bzr has this passage regarding changelog-merge:
>
>     Sigh.  This plugin has a drawback.  People often like to edit older
>     ChangeLog entries, not at the head of the file.  Frequently they do
>     this in the same commit as making new entries.  Using this plugin
>     will merge ALL changed entries (including older ones) to the top of
>     the destination file.
>
> AFAIK, the number of people doing that is very small, so we could ask
> them not to.
>
> Regardless, would it be a good idea to ask for a modification of the
> plugin, whereby it would error out in such cases, either by default or
> under some option?

The gnulib "git-merge-changelog" merge program[*] is reported to
handle this case correctly, and supposedly can be used with either git
or bzr (or hg).

-Miles

[*] To build, install the "gnulib-tool" program, and do:

   gnulib-tool --create-testdir --dir=XXX git-merge-changelog
   cd XXX
   ./configure
   make
   ...etc

Look at the header comments in the program source
(gllib/git-merge-changelog.c) for instructions on how to use it with bzr...

--
Ich bin ein Virus. Mach' mit und kopiere mich in Deine .signature.