Re: debbugs.el

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: debbugs.el
Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2011 11:15:21 +0100

"Evgeny M. Zubok" <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Evgeny,

> My solution is also have a layered architecture: (i) a separate package
> with generic SOAP client library; (ii) a separate package with
> debbugs-soap.el as backend; (iii) debian-bts mode as a frontend. One of
> my initial design consideration was to allow custom
> frontends. debbugs-soap.el backend is very small library. It only
> performs the requests to Debbugs server such as: get_bugs, get_status,
> get_versions, get_bug_log, etc. All mbox functionality currently
> implemented in frontend. I think it's a good idea to move it into
> backend as alternative (to SOAP) method of receiving logs from server.

Yes.

>> That's how I also started mid of 2009. Last year, I switched to
>> soap-client.el (recently added to Emacs' trunk). My code is much less
>> ugly now.
>
> This library appeared at the same time with my library. I was going to
> prepare my soap-client.el for Emacs but someone is way faster than
> me. :) Well, I will help soap-client.el from 'trunk' with patches. :)

Thanks. In fact, the author of soap-client.el is Alex Harsanyi, who
maintains it uptstream.

Btw, if you intend to contribute for Emacs, you shall sign the FSF legal
papers. Have you started this procedure already?

>> Let's do  it together. We  could merge the backend  functionality into
>> debbugs.el, and continue to work on the different frontends. As I have
>> said already, I would also be interested in an nnir integration.
>
> Is your project published somewhere?

Not (yet). I'm just rying to bring it to elpa, as proposed by Chong, but
I have problems with this. If you want, I could send you my debbugs.el
via email.

Best regards, Michael.