gnus in Emacs trunk: read/expire-flags lost for mail in inbox

From: Sascha Wilde
Subject: gnus in Emacs trunk: read/expire-flags lost for mail in inbox
Date: Thu, 03 Mar 2011 12:58:35 +0100

Hi *,

for some days (few weeks) I experience a very annoying problem with gnus
in my (daily build) Emacs:

I use gnus as an MUA:
- only one mail-source of type "file"
- nnml backend
- nnmail-split-methods with some rules and a default rule like:
  [...] ("mail.New" "")
  The group in this default rule is what I would call my mail inbox.

Now when I mark mail in this "inbox" as read or expunge or anything like
this and I quit gnus and Emacs, after restarting Emacs and gnus I get
all mails displayed as new and unread.  In addition the mail counter in
the Group buffer is astronomically high for the "inbox" until I visit
the group one time.

Strange enough if I only  quit gnus and restart it without quiting Emacs
I don't see this phenomenon, neither do I on any subsequent mail
fetching...

I see this on two different Emacs installations with two different gnus
configurations, the one using only a file mail-source is the simpler
one.

Any Ideas what might be the cause of this?

cheers
sascha
--
Sascha Wilde
"Structure is _nothing_ if it is all you got.  Skeletons _spook_ people if