Re: user-controlled load-path extension: load-dir

From: Dimitri Fontaine
Subject: Re: user-controlled load-path extension: load-dir
Date: Thu, 03 Mar 2011 22:07:31 +0100

Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden> writes:
> I think it's useful to load on startup any .el files placed in a
> particular directory (if the user approves the directory).  For example,
> if the user sets `load-dir' to '("~/.emacs.d/load"),
> ~/.emacs.d/load/*.el will be loaded on startup.  The `load-path' is not
> involved, this would be a straight `eval' call.

The same way we have user-init-file, I too would welcome Emacs to offer
a default user-load-path that's known to be e.g. ~/.emacs.d/load.d.
That would allow third party elisp code to just drop a file in there and
have users all set to use a new facility.

For example, I would use that for el-get and bootstrapping it into the
user's setup would become easier, and would allo to avoid having to edit
user-init-file.

Regards,
--
dim