Re: How does ELPA work?

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: How does ELPA work?
Date: Sat, 05 Mar 2011 16:24:40 -0500

>> Assuming the assignment is in order, either I or one of the maintainers
>> can do the deployment.
>
> I have the same question. I intend to upload debbugs.el to elpa. From
> the descriptions, I do not understand how I shall do it. Does there
> exist a small blurb for elpa contributors? This shouldn't include the
> upload procedure only, but also some instructions how to organize the
> package (files with version in theie name? directories with version in
> their name? readme? what else?)

There is a description of how to make Emacs packages in the Lisp manual,
in the "Packaging" node.  That should get you started.  Once you have
created a package file, you can test installing it with M-x
package-install-file RET.

To make it available on elpa.gnu.org, you currently have to ask someone
with access to the server to run the script that synches the bzr branch
on the server.  So email me or Ted Zlatanov.

We should make it easier for Emacs hackers to deploy a "private" copy of
the package archive.  The instructions of how to do this are not as
clear as they should be.  I will work on that this weekend.

(Thanks for your patience, and for being a guinea pig for using the
packaging system :-)