Re: user-controlled load-path extension: load-dir

From: PJ Weisberg
Subject: Re: user-controlled load-path extension: load-dir
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2011 12:39:32 -0800

On 3/7/11, Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> wrote:
>> They are not packages, they are snippets of code.  ELPA requires far
>> more structure and many more steps.  For what I'm proposing, a lot less
>> work is required (just a y/n prompt the first time a snippet is found to
>> ensure it's not placed there maliciously).
>
> There's no reason why package.el can't accept any random elisp file.

I think this proposal is really about code snippets that people would
otherwise just cut and paste into their .emacs file.  The average
user's .emacs often winds up containing mostly code they found
somewhere and use without really understanding it.  Dropping each
snippit in its own file would be a big help if the user ever did need
to debug some problem with his init, or if he decided one day to
actually learn elisp.

(I din't know if the security/hash thing is really necessary.  If the
attacker already has write access to your home directory, how much
worse can it get?)

-PJ