Re: How can I debug a problem triggered from jit-lock's background fonti

From: Daniel Colascione
Subject: Re: How can I debug a problem triggered from jit-lock's background fontification?
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2011 00:02:57 -0800

On 2/7/11 2:22 PM, Lennart Borgman wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 11:19 PM, Alan Mackenzie <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> I've actually inserted a call to `ignore' into the critical place, with
>> all the things I want to see as parameters to ignore.  Then I trace
>> `ignore'.  I _think_ I've got the problem tied down, but that will have
>> to wait till tomorrow.
>
> Thanks for that trick, I never thought about using ignore like that.

That is a neat trick.  One thing I like to do is use something like this
as my "debug probe":

(progn
  (message "foo: %s" foo)
  (redisplay t)
  (sit-for 1)
  t ; or nil, as appropriate
)

This way, I can visualize the progress a function is making as it
travels up and the down the buffer and detect patterns more easily than
I can by looking at numeric output.  If I have debug-on-quit turned on,
I can stop the process when I notice something amiss and figure out what
went wrong.