Re: How does ELPA work?

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: How does ELPA work?
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2011 14:03:02 +0100

Chong Yidong <address@hidden> writes:

> Michael Albinus <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Thanks. I've created debbugs-0.1.tar, based on this. I'll send it to
>> you off the list, for uploading to elpa.gnu.org.
>
> Uploaded (and accessible in packages/debbugs-0.1/ in the elpa branch).

Thanks. However, I haven't seen the files in the elpa branch of Emacs
24. Reading the rewritten admin/notes/elpa, it looks like I shall add
them there. Right?

>> I've tried this as well. `package-upload-file' did work fine (after
>> adjusting `package-archive-upload-base'). But `list-packages' failed
>> afterwards, see *Messages*:

>> (("tmp" . "/tmp/") ("gnu" . "http://elpa.gnu.org/packages/";))
>> Failed to download `tmp' archive.
>>
>> I'll see, whether I can debug into this.
>
> Hmm, I can't seem to reproduce this.  Let me know if you track it down.
>
> Try removing the condition-case in package-refresh-contents, and see if
> you can get a backtrace.

First, package-upload-file fails if the tar file is remote. I've fixed
this in package.el and simple.el (I had to make shell-command-to-string
aware of remote default-directory).

Afterwards, uploading works, but it does not extract my tar file. I do
not know whether it shall be extracted by default, so I have done it
manually. Likely this was the origin of my problem, because now I can
install the package from the local archive.

Best regards, Michael.