Re: convenient digital signing for el files and snippets

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: convenient digital signing for el files and snippets
Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2011 09:33:00 -0600

On Wed, 09 Mar 2011 00:12:13 -0600 Joseph Gay <address@hidden> wrote:

JG> In short, add an Emacs command/function to sign an elisp file or snippet
JG> with a comment indicating the signer and signature, and another
JG> command/function to verify the signature.

I think it's better to sign a package than individual files:

- the package manager can do the verification at install time (once)

- there's already a packaging process which can easily have the extra
  signing step, and packages have metadata we can use

- signing a package would cover all the files, not just Emacs Lisp
  files, and would be done just once per package

- the Emacs Lisp code doesn't have to be polluted by the signing info

- older and legacy code doesn't have to be modified to be signed

So I think it's good to have the support you mentioned but for
package.el instead of at the Emacs Lisp code level.

Ted