Re: user-controlled load-path extension: load-dir

From: Ben Key
Subject: Re: user-controlled load-path extension: load-dir
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2011 10:00:05 -0600

On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 1:29 AM, Jan D. <address@hidden> wrote:

> What is wrong with (expand-file-name "~/emacs.d/load.d")?
> I don't think user-init-file can be nil either.

As I said in my comments for the user-load-dir defcustom, "If this file is loaded from site-start.el, `user-init-file' will be nil."  Apparently site-start.el is loaded before the code in lread.c that initializes the Vuser_init_file variable.  I was surprised myself when I made the change to load user-load-dir.el from my site-start.el and I got an error on the defcustom line.

As for expanding "~/emacs.d/load.d," it may have the same problem with being called from site-start.el.  If it does not, I will use it.