Re: State of the CEDET merge

From: Lluís
Subject: Re: State of the CEDET merge
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2011 15:29:25 +0100

David Engster writes:

> Lennart Borgman writes:
>> Has not Cedet switched to Bazaar already?

> Yes, months ago. Lluís has invested much time in that and he has also
> begun merging with the Emacs version. He's working on that a separate
> branch 'file-rename'. I'm not sure how much work is left.

Yup, such a branch exists and is partially ported. But lots of changes
have been inserted in both sides (Emacs and Cedet), which forced me to
do a manual merge reviewing code line-by-line, instead of just renaming
files.

My current approach is (it's the best I could find that provided some
semi-automatic merging):

   - look for the date (D) where a file was added into the emacs
     repository
   - build a patch (P) of the changes in Emacs since date D to present
     day
   - apply patch P into the Cedet repository (file-rename branch)

So the currently done work is:

   - rename most (all?) the grammar files in cedet
   - fix these to build with their new naming scheme
   - finished merging eieio
   - finished merging speedbar
   - added a list of which files are not present on both repositories
   - started merging common cedet code

This is an extremely time consuming process (specially because I'm not
much knowledgeable of the cedet codebase, nor an elisp ninja), and I've
not been able to devote much to it since long ago.

Lluis

 Tollbooth