Re: New function: vc-ediff

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: New function: vc-ediff
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2011 10:38:53 +0200

> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2011 15:15:43 -0500
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> I happen to think that vc-ediff should *replace* ediff-revision ;-)

It could, if it is sensitive enough to the context.  When the command
is invoked in the context of some VC-related feature, like from the
*vc-dir* buffer, it should intuit most of the parameters and not ask
too many questions, because the user would be annoyed.  But when the
command is invoked out of VC context, like from some unrelated buffer,
it might be a good idea to ask, because the user could have something
very different in mind than to diff the current buffer's file.

IIUC, vc-ediff, as written, does not allow me to specify the file for
which to show the diffs (unless I invoke it with a prefix argument).
It assumes that I want to diff the file visited by the current
buffer.  I'm not sure this is the best default in this case.