Change in rmail-start-mail

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Change in rmail-start-mail
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2011 15:28:42 +0200

This change:

  revno: 100059.1.49
  committer: Kenichi Handa <address@hidden>
  branch nick: 23-build
  timestamp: Tue 2011-02-22 00:19:08 +0000
  message:
    Decode "encoded-words" of header components on replying.

breaks rmail-reply for me: the outgoing message has a garbled header
for each header that was RFC 2047 encoded in the original message to
which I reply.

Why was this change made?  What was the problem it was supposed to
solve?

It is quite clear that the assumption was that some other code will
RFC 2047 encode these headers before the message is sent, but what
code is supposed to do that?  I use sendmail-user-agent and
smtpmail-send-it, and these do not encode those headers.  Should the
decoding introduced with the above revision be conditioned on some
specific MUA?