Re: State of the CEDET merge

From: Lluís
Subject: Re: State of the CEDET merge
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 21:08:42 +0100

David Engster writes:

> Lluís writes:
>> In fact, I'm only tracking changes introduced in Emacs. But not those
>> introduced after my last merge for a specific file (these will have to
>> be manually re-checked).
>>
>> Changes in the cedet trunk should be automatically merged when I merge
>> the branch.

> I must admit I don't fully understand the 'file-rename' branch,
> especially at what point you would call this branch "finished". Could
> you (very roughly) outline how you plan to merge the different versions
> in the end?

The initial process (the one is being used right now) was described on
previous mails (see script crude-update in the file-rename branch).

Once that's finished, according to previous discussions in this list:

* freeze cedet-related changes in the emacs repository
* see if new changes from emacs must be transplanted into cedet (these
  should be just a few)
* merge file-rename into cedet's trunk
* create a branch (to-emacs) in cedet for changes meant to go into cedet
* any change in cedet that is ready for upstream emacs should be merged
  into the 'to-emacs' branch
* _somehow_ move changes from 'to-emacs' into emacs proper (emacs can
  just have a file indicating the last revision in 'to-emacs' that was
  merged into it, and then applying a patch with the differences since
  that revision)

This is all supposing that bazaar has no support for
externals/sub-modules (as is the case right now AFAIK).

[...]
> It would help if you could name some concrete tasks which have to be
> done next. I've seen the 'open_issues' file, but I don't really
> understand those items listed there.

There are two files to look into:

* not_in_emacs
  Files that are present in the cedet repository but not in emacs. Some
  of these must be considered as "contrib" files (and thus stay out of
  emacs), while some of these may need to be added into emacs proper.

* open_issues
  Things that must be revised before considering the file-rename done

  Some of these refer to functions that were introduced in cedet to
  support other emacs/xemacs versions.

  In the case of emacs, for example, they should probably be dropped, as
  emacs will already ship on each version a fully-compatible cedet from
  now on. If you want to use a newer cedet version, then you should
  probably use a new emacs version.

> Please don't take these questions the wrong way; I very much
> appreciate your work you've already done on the merge and the bzr
> transition.

If you're thinking that I might get angry about your comments, then I'm
not taking these the wrong way :)

Lluis

 Tollbooth