Re: save-excursion and save-current-buffer - edits to the manual

From: Uday S Reddy
Subject: Re: save-excursion and save-current-buffer - edits to the manual
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2011 07:08:18 +0000

Richard Stallman writes:

> Compiler warnings should be programmers' assistants, not their
> masters.  That is why we have with-no-warnings.  We implement
> helpful warnings about constructions that _might_ be mistakes, but
> that doesn't mean they are taboo.

Of course, the manuals never stop the programmers from doing what they
want to do.  They can at best explain and advise, and leave the final
judgement to the programmer.

But we need a coherent story to tell between the compiler and the
manual.  If the comiler warns "there is a problem doing this" and the
manual says "go ahead and do it", then we don't have a coherent
picture.

Cheers,
Uday