Re: POP3 UIDL - pop3-leave-mail-on-server

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: POP3 UIDL - pop3-leave-mail-on-server
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2011 17:08:26 +0100

Reiner Steib <address@hidden> writes:

> |   ;; We can't use the UILD support from XEmacs mail-lib or cvs.m17n.org:
> |   ;; http://thread.gmane.org/address@hidden
> |   ;; http://thread.gmane.org/address@hidden
> |   ;; Any volunteer to re-implement this?

Right.  So pop3 can't leave mail on the server because nobody has
bothered to reimplement the UIDL library?  How much work could that be?

> BTW, I don't know why you removed the corresponding warnings from
> `pop3-movemail' with this commit:
>
> ,----[ git log - gnus/lisp/pop3.el ]
> | commit 119a867afc587c9261730362a6478fc3801df1b5

It didn't seem like a message that it's relevant to flash to the user
each and every time they use pop3.

>> And why not just use IMAP instead?
>
> Some mail providers don't offer IMAP (for free).
>
>> If it's a popular way to read email, I can certainly have a peek at
>> implementing an nnpop backend for Gnus...

Since nobody has spoken up and said "yes, I would use nnpop", I'm
guessing that there aren't many users (if any) that would still prefer
to read mail (and leave it there) from their pop servers instead of from
their IMAP servers.

  address@hidden * Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen