Re: POP3 UIDL - pop3-leave-mail-on-server

From: chad
Subject: Re: POP3 UIDL - pop3-leave-mail-on-server
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2011 13:49:19 -0400

On Mar 15, 2011, at 12:08 PM, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen wrote:

> Right.  So pop3 can't leave mail on the server because nobody has
> bothered to reimplement the UIDL library?  How much work could that be?
> [...]
> Since nobody has spoken up and said "yes, I would use nnpop", I'm
> guessing that there aren't many users (if any) that would still prefer
> to read mail (and leave it there) from their pop servers instead of from
> their IMAP servers.

FWIW, pop3 UIDL wasn't widely adopted (on either servers or clients) because
(IMHO) it requires that the clients all be able to share a store of id's. That
excludes a large subset of the desired users (for example, people who want to
be able to also check mail from their mobile phone client).

It's still worth implementing, mind you - but these days most users will still
prefer IMAP for a variety of reasons. (All IMHO, of course).

Hope that helps,
*Chad