Re: can Gnus simply use the Emacs bug tracker?

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: can Gnus simply use the Emacs bug tracker?
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2011 16:31:40 -0400

Glenn Morris <address@hidden> writes:

> So really all that is needed is to use "Package: gnus" in the first
> line of a mail to address@hidden Using "Package: emacs,gnus" causes
> both address@hidden and bug-gnu-emacs to get mails. You can do this
> today with zero other changes required.

This would be easier than trying to figure out the correct mail rules to
take over address@hidden, indeed.

The disadvantage is that the Gnus project will get a mix of tracked and
untracked bugs, since many existing users would still report bugs to the
"unmanaged" address@hidden

> With regards to making it more "official", personally I hesitate a
> bit.  debbugs.gnu.org is a GNU machine and the set-up is intended for
> GNU projects. Do you regard Gnus as a GNU project? GNU Gnus? I know
> Gnus is part of Emacs, but eg
>
> http://www.gnu.org/software/gnus
>
> does not exist, and I don't seem to find a statement on
> http://www.gnus.org/. There don't seem to be any mentions in the Gnus
> manual either.

The VM was originally provided to us as a bug tracker for Emacs, not as
a GNU bug server; so as far as I'm concerned we have a broad mandate for
using it to manage Emacs-related bugs.  We can give the FSF a heads-up,
but frankly I don't see this issue being a problem.