Re: A better autogen.sh

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: A better autogen.sh
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2011 11:34:42 -0400

>> What do people think of it?
> Not many responses. Should I go ahead with installing this and removing
> configure?

I recommend we take a similar approach as what we did for loaddefs.el:
move the bzr-controlled file elsewhere rather than deleting it.
That's also what I do in my own local branch, because it avoid silly
conflicts "can't merge change to deleted file".

I.e. make a "boostrap-files" (or should it say "generated-files"?)
directory.  Move configure, aclocal.m4, src/config.in (and
lisp/ldefs-boot.el) to it, then install your change (tho change the
instructions to say "run ./configure" rather than "run configure" since
we should not encourage people to have . in their PATH).

We should try and keep the bootstrap-files more or less up to date
(e.g. so the MS-DOS port can use them) for now, so that people who
insist on not installing autoconf can still bootstrap.

        Stefan