Re: user-controlled load-path extension: load-dir

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: user-controlled load-path extension: load-dir
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2011 15:08:56 -0500

On Wed, 16 Mar 2011 11:43:09 -0400 Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> wrote:

>> Chong, Stefan, can I take this and the lack of new posts in this thread
>> to mean it's OK to commit an experimental implementation of the load-dir
>> idea?

SM> Adding a load-directory function is OK, yes.  But please send the
SM> corresponding patch for review first.

First, the library.  I'm not sure about the name (`user-load-dirs-load'
sounds terrible) and I've omitted the byte-compilation stuff that was in
Ben Key's code.  It's a full rewrite of his code, which makes copyright
assignments unnecessary so we can speed up the process.

Do we want to support loading byte-compiled files?

Is the messaging too intrusive?

Also I don't trap errors.  I think that's the right approach.  These are
not packages, they are like a part of your .emacs and should be treated
accordingly.  This is also why I'm sort of avoiding the byte compilation
support, although it's pretty easy to add.

Thanks
Ted