Re: completion-list-mode-map

From: Christoph Scholtes
Subject: Re: completion-list-mode-map
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2011 23:00:22 -0600

On 3/16/2011 8:22 PM, Stefan Monnier wrote:

Mostly that special-mode-map is "recent" and we haven't changed all the
code to use it yet.

I see. I will provide a patch then.

Like I said, I noticed some inconsistencies with the behavior of buffers like completion, especially when it comes to quitting and/or killing the buffer. Most notably help-mode stands out since it has a view-mode minor mode, which maps `q' to `quit-window' and `z' to a scroll function. In special-mode buffers I can use `q' to quit (and bury) and `z' to kill, which is nice. help-mode requires me to set the view-exit-action to `kill' to achieve a similar result, but it is still inconsistent. Could we make help-mode derive its map from special-mode also? Or would this change the key bindings for help-mode too much?

You might instead define completion-list-mode to derive from
special-mode rather than nil.

Ok.

Reloading simple.el doesn't do it, because `defvar' has no effect if the
variable is already defined (hitting C-M-x with point inside the defvar
OTOH has special code to redefine the variable).
Recompiling simple.el and restarting Emacs doesn't make a difference
betwen simple.elc is preloaded in the `emacs' executable, so you'd then
need to rebuild `emacs' (which is built by running `temacs', loading
some files and then "dumping" the result to the `emacs' file).

Thanks for the explanation. That makes sense now.

Christoph