Re: user-controlled load-path extension: load-dir

From: Evans Winner
Subject: Re: user-controlled load-path extension: load-dir
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2011 00:31:34 -0600

,------ Ben Key wrote ------
|    I do think it is important to trap errors though.  If
|    you do not, and you call this new load directory
|    function in your .emacs file, Emacs initialization will
|    abort at the first error leaving your Emacs session
|    half configured (any code positioned after the call to
|    load directory will not run).  I do not think this is a
|    good idea.  I do not feel very strongly about this
|    though.

I am not sure if you are talking about having Emacs silently
ignore files in the loaded directory which don't load
properly.  Personally, I would prefer such a function do no
error handling at all with the exception of perhaps making
sure its input argument is indeed a directory name.  When a
library is loaded by this or any other function on startup I
want Emacs to stop there and let me know about it, which is
the normal behavior at them moment I believe.

By the way, a version of `load-dir' that I sent Ben Key a
week or so ago mostly/partly includes handling of gzipped
libraries (or whatever is returned by `get-load-suffixes')
which seemed a useful variation, though it occurs to me that
I don't know if that is portable across platforms.

For, as usual, what it may be worth.