Re: Outgoing mail defaults

From: chad
Subject: Re: Outgoing mail defaults
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2011 18:27:06 -0400

On Mar 17, 2011, at 3:02 PM, David Reitter wrote:

Making it listen on port 80 would be easier than installing a server-side script taking a POST request on port 80.
OTOH, Ted's suggestion about the hashcash seems very attractive, especially if the SMTP server would forward bug reports to other packages in the process.

Do you think we can expect hashcash to reasonably work in the case were the user hasn't configured emacs, it's not working, and sending mail doesn't work? I don't know the details of the hashcash implementation, but a quick internet search suggest that emacs would need to successfully communicate with a subprocess to a binary that isn't likely to be installed.

Hope that helps,
*Chad