Re: Indexed search with grep-like output

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Indexed search with grep-like output
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2011 01:34:36 +0100

On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 5:10 AM, Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> wrote:
>> I have now added support for Google Desktop Search too (the grepping
>> is not added there yet though). It feels snappier, but the timing
>> tells me it should be about the same as Windows Desktop Search. Wonder
>> if I did something wrong... ;-)
>
> Clearly, the wrong thing you did is focus on non-Free tools.

It now supports DocIndexer, Google Desktop Search and Windows Desktop
Search (the latter via a rather general SQL-interface using ruby).

'This is now in the nXhtml repository if someone wants to test. The
easiest way to test is just:

- Get a checkout of nXhtml
- Run autostart.el in the top directory.
- Then try the search from the menus: nXhtml / Tools / Indexed Search.

DocIndexer is the default search engine unless you are on w32 where
Windows Desktop Search is default (since it is there by default). You
will need to tell where DocIndexer is, but you will get instructions
for that.

If you want to change search engine then change the variable
idxsearch-engine in idxsearch.el.