Re: user-controlled load-path extension: load-dir

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: user-controlled load-path extension: load-dir
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2011 21:46:44 -0500

On Thu, 17 Mar 2011 18:50:42 -0400 Glenn Morris <address@hidden> wrote:

GM> Ted Zlatanov wrote:
Tom> Why not put an autoload cookie on load-dirs?
Tom> That would be friendlier for users.
>>
>> I didn't think of it, thanks.  I added those to my copy.

GM> Noooo.... Please don't autoload defcustoms unless they really, really
GM> need it.

OK.  See attached.

On Thu, 17 Mar 2011 22:21:33 -0400 Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> wrote:

>> OK. I've attached the library (now called load-dir.el, which I think is
>> much better than user-load-*, especially since the function names are

SM> The mapcar call should be replaced by mapc or dolist.  As mentioned,
SM> you may want to add an autoload cookie on the [`load-dirs']
SM> function.

I did the mapc.  Not sure about the autoload cookie, see above.  So it's
off for now.

SM> Also you'll want to replace `ignore-errors' with
SM> `with-demoted-errors'.  More importantly, if it's an ELPA package,
SM> it can hook itself via autoload cookies so the user doesn't even
SM> need to call load-dirs and can just set load-dirs instead.  E.g.

SM>    ;;;###autoload
SM>    (add-hook 'after-init-hook 'load-dirs)

Done.  Thanks for the suggestions.  I wasn't sure if this is a good
default because of people who want to use this package but not on
startup.  But I guess that's a rare enough case that this is OK as the
default.

Ted