Re: exec-path and PATH

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: exec-path and PATH
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2011 19:26:20 +0200

> From: Christoph Scholtes <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
> Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2011 10:36:44 -0600
>
> Can we set PATH to exec-path for the duration of the shell
> execution?

What do you mean by "shell execution"?

What I had in mind was that we should synchronize PATH with exec-path
each time we invoke a subsidiary process, either through call-process
or start-process.

There could be an issue with async subprocesses that are already
running, though: they still use the old PATH, while Emacs will see the
new value.  This could lead to subtle bugs.

> IIRC, if you change the PATH in a cmd session it only applies to
> that session.

But we don't change PATH _in_ the cmd session, we change it _before_
the session begins.