Re: Outgoing mail defaults

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: Outgoing mail defaults
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2011 07:20:56 -0500

On Sat, 19 Mar 2011 23:06:25 -0400 Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> wrote:

>> I'd like to make it possible to have the line
>> machine mysmtphost port smtp
>> in the authinfo.gpg file.  I would do this by changing the example code

SM> I'm not sure I understand what you're suggesting: AFAIK auto-source
SM> maintains a database of how to connect to a given host, not which host
SM> to use for which kind of service.
SM> Or are you suggesting the smtpmail should default to using "whichever
SM> host name appears in .authinfo where the associated port is `smtp'"?

The first such host name, yes.  There are really two cases: SMTP with
and without passwords.  Because I think the former should try to use
auth-source I'm trying to make the latter use it as well.  I can
understand if it seems like overkill.

How about this approach for first-time setup if people don't like the
above, which avoids the "first found host" solution:

1) ask the user about the SMTP server name if `smtpmail-auth-source' is
nil (the default)

2) ask the user if the server connection info should be saved through
auth-source

3) if yes, do the auth-source creation prompts for user, port, and
password

4) use Customize to save `smtpmail-host', `smtpmail-port', and
`smtpmail-auth-source' to t or 'never according to (2).  From now on the
user will either just use `smtpmail-host' and `smtpmail-port' or call
`auth-source-search' with :host ,smtpmail-host and (if the port is not
nil) :port ,smtpmail-port

Ted