Re: Delayed warnings

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: Delayed warnings
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 14:17:39 +0100

> Well, the whole point of my proposal is that I want to give a warning,
> not just a message (which is very easily overlooked when starting
> Emacs).
>
> Also, as the process of delayed-warnings happens very late (after
> .emacs), the user can remove warnings he doesn't really want with
>
>    (setq delayed-warnings (delete* "unwanted warning" delayed-warnings
> :key 'cadr :test 'string-match-p))
>
> or equivalent non-CL code. This is a plus, because we want to warn the
> user, but not punish him in case he does really have a reason to
> continue doing whatever causes the warning.
>
> In fact, if we adopt delayed-warnings, there are other warnings (quite
> a few in startup.el, for example, like the one I recently added about
> _emacs) that could be converted to using it and so give the user more
> control over them.

Fully agreed.  But the same arguments hold for redisplay errors which
currently pass through add_to_log where they are treated like messages.
What I wanted is a mechanism that handles (and optionally ignores) all
sorts of errors/warnings which currently can't be issued prominently
because Emacs is in an inconsistent state.

martin