Re: Delayed warnings

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: Delayed warnings
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 21:19:29 +0100

On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 19:06, martin rudalics <address@hidden> wrote:

> I thought you had something in mind like `display-warning' tailored for
> the case that `display-warning' isn't callable for some reason.

That's more or less. I wanted to call display-warning, found that it
was too soon, and looked for a way to delay it.

> A `display-delayed-warnings' function run after `post-command-hook' more
> or less from where `deferred-action-function' was or is called.  That
> function would display all (appropriately filtered) warnings that have
> accumulated in the `delayed-warnings' list since the last time it was
> called and reset the list to nil.  Ideally, `display-delayed-warnings'
> would call `display-warning' for each element of `delayed-warnings'.

Yes, like the malloc low-memory warning code does. Fine by me. The
problem I wanted to tackle was warning about default HOME, not
designing a delayed warning facility :-)

Only I would process `display-delayed-warnings' in reverse, so C code
can add with

  Vdisplay_delayed_warnings = Fcons (..., Vdisplay_delayed_warnings);

but the user still gets the warnings in order.

    Juanma