Re: c mode still slow?

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: c mode still slow?
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 19:41:55 +0000

Hi, Dave!

On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 03:40:51PM +0300, Dave Milter wrote:
> Hi, Alan and all.

> Year or two ago I wrote email about emacs usage for C/C++ coding, how
> it is painfully slow.

Yes, I remember it well!  I think your email was on 1st December 2008,
and your test file was composed of thousands of #defines without any
braces.  To fix that, I optimised an internal "brace cache" to cope
with this (reasonable) situation.  Unfortunately, there were doubts
about the absolute correctness of the change (which was large), so it
sadly didn't get included in Emacs 23.3.  It will be in Emacs 24.

> Any progress since then?

> At now I have GNU Emacs 23.3.1 on Linux.

> I open two files: one with defines, and another with functions, and
> get such results:

Give me a little time, and I will send you the patch again, in a form
which can be applied to Emacs 23.3.  This will hopefully fix (again) the
problem with the "#define" file.  If the file with the functions is
still sluggish, I'd like to hear from you again, with the file (if
possible).

Thanks for taking the trouble to report this bug again.  ;-(

> As you can see it take ages to show me content, and it still painfully
> to work with such slow editor.

> But of course without highlighting types and function names work is
> also painful.

> I wonder, may it is possible to process code into background, to allow
> user work without any delay?

Give me a day or two!

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).