Re: Deprecate _emacs on Windows

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: Deprecate _emacs on Windows
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2011 01:26:03 +0100

> Why should it still exist?

Why not? You're making a big, big deal of a small warning that just
tells the user to rename a file.

And, why are you not pissed off by "emacs --unibyte", for example?

> Why should they have to?

Why should they not? By your reasoning, we should deprecate things,
but *never* remove them, because, why should we force users to change
anything? Well, if they are really that interested in keeping _emacs,
they can stay with Emacs 23.

> Why issue a _warning_ for this?  As long as a user's `_emacs' is found and
> used
> (traditional behavior) there is nothing to warn about.

We're warning them that in a not-so-distant future they will find
their _emacs no longer working.

> And if a user's `_emacs'
> is no longer sought and found (i.e. ignored, in the future) then the warning
> obviously does no good.

I fail to understand your reasoning here, sorry.

> Since when does the mere act of deprecation call for a _warning_?  A warning
> is
> in order only if a particular deprecation means there is some danger to warn
> about.

You have already lectured us on your interpretation for the word
"warning". I still disagree.

> Yes, I know you did, which is why I added that this has moved well beyond
> Amerika.  As I said, a couple of generations and globalization have spread it,
> yes, even as far as Catalunya and the Canary Islands.  You might like to
> believe
> you are not so influenced by American culture, but think again.

Please! Are you really unable to talk about these matters without
being patronizing?

    Juanma