Re: request for reviewing the updated version of cc-guess.el

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: request for reviewing the updated version of cc-guess.el
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2011 10:13:02 +0000

Hello, Masatake.

I hope you have come through the recent events in Japan OK, and offer my
sincere condolences for any loss you may have suffered.

On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 05:23:37AM +0900, Masatake YAMATO wrote:
> Hi,

> Taking 7 years I've updated cc-guess.el as suggested by Martin
> Stjernholm.

> Currently cc-guess.el is not included in cc-mode official release and
> as the result it is not included in GNU Emacs.

> Could you review the updated version with considering inclduing it to
> the release?

OK.  I agree with you that it cc-guess.el should become an integral part
of CC Mode, specifically in the upcoming version 5.32.  Thanks for doing
the work!  I've read the seven year old Email thread between you and
Martin.

There are some tasks still to do:
(i) Tidy up the syntax of the doc strings.
(ii) Write a new page in the manual.
(iii) Decide on key bindings.

The first two of these tasks need to be done by me.  As for the key
bindings, I don't really like Martin's suggestion of C-c C-g; when
somebody has just typed C-c then decides it was a mistake, he's going to
hit C-g to cancel out of it.  Of all the major mode bindings, we have
these ones (abbreviated below) still free:

C-c C-f
....C-g   Keep free for cancel?
     -h
      {
      }
      <

      :
      ;

.  Like Martin, I don't think C-c C-<, etc. are good bindings here - they
should be kept for possible backward/forward commands of some sort.  How
about C-c C-j <letter>?  The C-j is a bit like the indentation command M-j
`c-indent-new-comment-line'.  What do you think?

Which commands need key bindings?

[ Change log and elisp file received with thanks and deleted. ]

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).