Re: request for reviewing the updated version of cc-guess.el

From: Masatake YAMATO
Subject: Re: request for reviewing the updated version of cc-guess.el
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2011 19:24:43 +0900 (JST)

Alan、

> Hello, Masatake.
>
> I hope you have come through the recent events in Japan OK, and offer my
> sincere condolences for any loss you may have suffered.

Thanks. I'm O.K. I have not got serious trouble till now.

> On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 05:23:37AM +0900, Masatake YAMATO wrote:
>> Hi,
>
>> Taking 7 years I've updated cc-guess.el as suggested by Martin
>> Stjernholm.
>
>> Currently cc-guess.el is not included in cc-mode official release and
>> as the result it is not included in GNU Emacs.
>
>> Could you review the updated version with considering inclduing it to
>> the release?
>
> OK.  I agree with you that it cc-guess.el should become an integral part
> of CC Mode, specifically in the upcoming version 5.32.  Thanks for doing
> the work!

Thanks.

> I've read the seven year old Email thread between you and
> Martin.
>
> There are some tasks still to do:
> (i) Tidy up the syntax of the doc strings.
> (ii) Write a new page in the manual.
> (iii) Decide on key bindings.
>
> The first two of these tasks need to be done by me.

Thank you very much.

> As for the key
> bindings, I don't really like Martin's suggestion of C-c C-g; when
> somebody has just typed C-c then decides it was a mistake, he's going to
> hit C-g to cancel out of it.  Of all the major mode bindings, we have
> these ones (abbreviated below) still free:
>
> C-c C-f
> ....C-g   Keep free for cancel?
>      -h
>       {
>       }
>       <
>       >
>       :
>       ;
>
> .  Like Martin, I don't think C-c C-<, etc. are good bindings here - they
> should be kept for possible backward/forward commands of some sort.  How
> about C-c C-j <letter>?  The C-j is a bit like the indentation command M-j
> `c-indent-new-comment-line'.  What do you think?
>
> Which commands need key bindings?
>
> [ Change log and elisp file received with thanks and deleted. ]

I think no key binding is needed. I think it will not be invoked frequently.
However, I think the commands should be listed in "C" pull-down menu.

[Style >] [Set Manually (c-set-style) ]
          [Examine Current Buffer and Guess Style]
          [Examine Current Buffer, Guess Style and Install It]
          [Install Guessed Result (cc-guess-install)]
          [View Guessed Result (cc-guess-view-guessed-style)]

or

[Set Style Manually (c-set-style) ]
[Examine Current Buffer and Guess Style]
[Examine Current Buffer, Guess Style and Install It]
[Install Guessed Style (cc-guess-install)]
[View Guessed Style (cc-guess-view-guessed-style)]

The fine controllable indentation engine of cc-mode is the one of the
greatest point of cc-mode. So I think "style" menu item should be in C pull-down
menu entry.

How do you think?

Masatake YAMATO