Re: Silk icon set for Gnus and synchronizing it into Emacs

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: Silk icon set for Gnus and synchronizing it into Emacs
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2011 13:51:44 -0400

Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden> writes:

> On Mon, 21 Mar 2011 15:43:19 -0500 Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> TZ> For Gnus I'd like to bring in the Silk icon set... This is to
> TZ> serve together with Gnome icon sets... The goal is to use the best
> TZ> available icon, subject to the user's preferences, especially on
> TZ> platforms where Gnome icon themes are not available.

Do you have any specific icons in mind, that are not present in the
Gnome icon set?  License aside (see below), I am leery of this move:

1. The Silk icon set is 700 files.  Adding 700 files to the Emacs
   distribution, just because some of these might be used by Emacs
   libraries at some point, is unreasonable..

2. The right approach is to use system icons whenever possible.
   Rather than adding icon files in support where the x-gtk-stock-map
   functionality doesn't exist, it's better to improve those platforms
   by implementing facilities analogous to x-gtk-stock-map.

> OK, can anyone at least tell me if adding something with the Creative
> Commons 3.0 license to Emacs is acceptable?

Let's discuss this off-list.